Up to six Richmond Scholars with extraordinary talent and who will major or minor in the visual or performing arts are awarded a full-tuition scholarship and are paired with arts faculty mentors to maximize opportunities to develop students' talents.
Submit the following required items:
- a one-page résumé focusing specifically on your experience and training in the arts (including information on arts training outside your primary arts discipline and any special arts recognition);
- an artist statement, expressing your artistic point of view, inspiration, and motivation. Your one-page artist statement should be a written reflection on why the arts are important in your life and what role you expect the arts to have during your college experience; and
- three copies of an audition CD or DVD or portfolio OR an online version with a public-facing URL demonstrating your artistic talent.
Portfolio content requirements vary according to talent:
- For actors and dancers, a video audition DVD containing two contrasting solo pieces, lasting no more than five minutes total for both pieces
- For musicians, an audio audition CD containing two contrasting solo pieces, lasting no more than 10 minutes total for both pieces
- For composers, an audio audition CD containing two to five personal compositions
- For theatre designers, a portfolio containing up to 12 photographs of theatrical design work (preferably in an electronic format) that includes at least one photo of a realized design or portion thereof
- For studio artists, a portfolio containing up to 12 slides, a CD with 12 JPEG images, or a DVD (allregion, NTSC)
The artist statement, résumé, and portfolio/audition materials (or link to online performance/portfolio) may be submitted by email. If you select to submit your portfolio materials by mail, we regret that we are unable to return your portfolio materials; therefore, please submit copies rather than originals.
Email submissions to email@example.com
Office of Admission
Attention: Director of Richmond Scholars
28 Westhampton Way
University of Richmond, VA 23173